Got to spend a few hours at a national preserve right off Hilton Head Island a couple days ago. Here is what I saw;



 |
Saw tons of these little guys
|
 |
I'm not exaggerating...
|
 |
So did the Ibis:
|
 |
They keep looking...
|
 |
And looking...
|
 |
Until...

Gotcha!
After their little feast, they go to the local spa:
|
 |
It must have been pretty exclusive. I think they hired the Wood Storks to be bouncers.
The best part of the day came at a drying up water hole. I almost didn't see him soaking until the sunlight bounced off his tail:
|
 |
| I decided to sneak a little closer: |
 |
| He wasn't very big, about 2 1/2 to 3 feet at the most. I got a good close up: |
 |
| He decided he didn't like me so close, so he tried to hide: |
 |
| When that didn't work, he started heading straight for me: |
 |
| I know enough to know that this little gator wouldn't kill me, but I'm sure that getting bit wouldn't feel all that great, so I backed away...slowly. Mama didn't raise no fool. |
 |
| Leaving the park, I heard a tremendous amount of squawking. After a few minutes of trying to figure out where the noise was coming from, I found what I believe was a rosy heron: |
 |
| Then, I almost stepped on this thing. I sent pics to the bug guy on the internet, but haven't heard back on what it is. Any ideas? |
 |
| Man, he was fast. It was hard to get a good pic. |
 |
| In the end, I have a feeling that it's going to be one of my favorite places to go. There is reportedly a bald eagle somewhere on the preserve, and hopefully, I will find him. Ranger Rick, signing off. |
4 comments:
The bug people gave me the answer to the bug. "The Cowkiller is a female Velvet Ant, a flightless wasp that is alleged to have a sting painful enough to kill a cow." Maybe I shouldn't have chased after it.
Yikes!!!!! Be caper!!
Bummer. That was a quick response! Oh well, I had fun looking it up and knowing that it was a Velvet Ant.
Cool pictures of the gator! You obviously did not have the dogs with you!
Really nice pictures Jer. Apartment looks great ! Take care and don't let the Velvet Ants.. or Alligators bite. Dad
Post a Comment