Neither Beth or I knew a whole lot about Savannah. All I knew was that it was hot, very hot, and that a minor league baseball team played there. It doesn't seem all that big, but suprisingly enough, has a population of roughly 136,000 people. Most of that is due to the Savannah College of Art and Design (10,000+), and Savannah State University (3,200...ok, not as much of an impact as expected). Maybe it's the tourism. For some reason, I had no idea that Savannah was such a popular tourist destination. Then, during a tour, found out that Savannah hosts the second largest St. Patrick Day's Parade in the nation (second only to New York, of course), is the birthplace of the girlscouts - and all obesity that goes along with that -, is the home of a somewhat famous artist named Thomas Kincaid, and is the adopted home of famous chef Paula Deen.
That was all pretty interesting to me. Then, I found out the actual history behind Savannah. A city founded in 1733, rich in history and culture. Built on 24 squares, 22 of which still exists, and all boast of monuments, fountains and beautiful oak trees draped with spanish moss. Here, for your enjoyment, hopefully, are just a few of the pictures from our first excursion to this great city:
 |
| Home of Juliette Gordon Low, founder of the girl scouts. Curse her and her tasty cookies!! |
1 comments:
Sure do like the view of Juliette's house. Kinda cool peeking through the Spanish moss at it.
I, however, do NOT care for her cookies. I don't waste my money (or the calories) on them. Carrie bakes far better ones than the girl scouts do. And, sadly, I WILL waist the calories on hers.
Post a Comment