God's country is an overused term. I've heard it describe the region that Beth and I live in, cattle country, wilderness areas, etc. I try not to use the term, but days like these make it extremely difficult not to. Let's start with how we met Hunting Island. I love lighthouses. Obsessively. I have two books that show how to get to all of them, plus phone numbers on contacting where the lighthouses in question are. You can see that on one of the pages on the right, there is a page dedicated to lighthouses. There's also another pages that I'm going to develop. Birds and reptiles. I've got two extremely thick books on birds, plus a flier on the local species. Reptiles...well...you saw the pictures on facebook. I used to catch snakes and sell them to pet stores when I was younger. Now, I just take pictures of them, and look at the pictures that my friend Mitchell Mimier puts on his facebook.
That background being given, I was looking at a map of the lighthouses in South Carolina, and came across Hunting Island. Beth and I had been in the area (Fort Fremont), but didn't know Hunting Island was in that area as well. It's not far for us to drive....unless something like this happens:
Truly an impressive sight. That mighty schooner went about 2 feet sideways for every foot forward, because of the stiff 10 m.p.h. breeze.
After waiting for an eternity, we finally made it to paradise:
| I'll get to that guy later. |
| The Willet made a good point. I should see what else there was to see: |
| Excuse me, miss, do you have any food? |
| I see you holding your hand out. Are you sure you're not trying to trick me? |
| All right, hold on, I'm coming over there |
| COME ON! I SEE YOU'VE GOT NOTHING!!! WHAT A DIRTY TRICK!! |
| I'm outta here! |
The last picture shows just how close they got. You can actually see the beginning of the beach at the very bottom of the last picture.
Beth also drew my attention to another bird:
I guess bald eagles are pretty common around here.
Ok. I've rambled on enough. To finish up, we took each others' photos around dead pieces of wood. It was getting late, so I got my pictures of the lighthouse and we were set:
The last three pics are actually from the day before. We hadn't gotten there very early the day before because of errand running, but I thought the sunset pictures would make a nice ending to the story.
In the end, I took over 150 pictures, 32 of which made the cut, plenty more could have, but I can save some for another time.
Now you see why it's hard not to call this God's country.
P.S. no altering was done to these pics, except for some dust spots that have glued themselves to the mirror inside my camera. Beth removed those, thanks to Corel DustBusting Suite 4. Thanks, Babe :-)

2 comments:
Actually I see quite a few dust spots that I missed :( Grrrrr! Anyway, the pics are great! You really outdid yourself this time babe :)
I love the pictures Jer. By the way, with all the snow we got the other day... makes me wish we were beachcombing with you. Had a great time when we were down there !! Maybe Angel Country... San Diego or Hawaii might be God's Country. Dad
Post a Comment