THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Taking a page from another's notebook

It's okay to copy someone else. Especially if it's a good idea. That's what I finally learned. Yeah, I'm kind of slow that way. I always heard about the evils of plagurizing, but the thing is that everyone does it. It's just that we plagurize a different way. Ideas have been plagurized for hundreds of years. We improve on ideas that have been laid out by others. We take life mottos, strategies and pracices from others. We justify it though, by calling the originators pioneers. Catch phrases are used without knowing where the phrase originated. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, it just happens. You can get sued if you use someone's written work, but if it was just a coined phrase, or something quoted, it's fair game. Again, I don't see anything wrong with that. I'm getting very sidetracked, though. This is not at all what I wanted to talk about.
What I'm trying to say is, I've noticed that as of lately, I'm taking bits and pieces of what I've seen and heard from others and applying them to my own life. For example, the movie "The Bucket List" is perhaps the most inspired movie that I've seen in a while. Make a list of things that you want to do before you die? Maybe a little morbid, but it certainly puts things in perspective. (You know that someone thought of a bucket list before that movie was made--do you think that they're paying that person royalties for using that idea?) Yeah, I know the Bucket List is a little old now, but I would still like for our 3 readers to give us 1 thing that they would like to do before they die. Mine (Jeremy) is to learn a new language. I'm working on French now and brushing up on Spanish. Who knows? Maybe this is just a passing fancy, but I'll say this: At 30, I think I'm seeing more clearly what's important now than I have at any time. I'm only getting on Facebook a few minutes a day and am going to be posting my thoughts at least once a week (Got that one from my sis, Carrie--kind of). I've never felt better about using other people's ideas than I do now. Just don't expect a royalties check anytime soon.

4 comments:

Carrie said...

Work the wrecking ball for a demolition crew.

And now, because I have an image to maintain, I must contemplate my next post...

Adam and Ashley Flenar said...

I want to ride in an hot air balloon.

Anonymous said...

Something I would like to do before I die; play an 18 hole round of golf at Augusta National, pull out a pistol, shoot a pigeon off the roof of the clubhouse, get arrested, get my name in the paper, and be released the same day without any fines or further legal repercussions. You know who...

Anonymous said...

And your comment might be, "Who Dat" ? Oh,oh.. can I use that phrase?